In 1875 The Holy Family Sisters took over the state funded girls’ school in Newbridge, which had been opened in 1842. Fifty years later in 1892 an Infant School was opened on Station Road, in a building currently known as the Parish Centre. This school moved in 1915 to a new building on the banks of the Liffey in the grounds of the Patrician Primary school. In 1952 the present school site was procured and work began on the school on the 1st of June 1952.
The new schools, St. Conleth’s Infant School and St. Conleth’s Girls School were blessed on the 4th October 1953 by Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin, Dr. Keogh and were formally opened by Minister for Education, Mr. Seán Moylan. They cost £65,000 to build.
In 1989/1990 St. Conleth’s Girls’ School became co-educational and changed its name to St. Conleth & Mary’s Primary School.The school was run by the Holy Family Sisters until 1988 when the last Holy Family principal, Sr. Elizabeth Murphy, retired and the first lay principal, Mrs. Teresa Doyle was appointed. Sr. Máiréad Behan, our last Holy Family teaching sister retired in 2007.
This statue of our Lady at the front of our school was presented to the Holy Family Sisters by the people of Newbridge in 1960.